Wednesday 11 September 2013

Kununurra

To our excitement we get a tyre, (yeah another one) which helps us stop "limping" around town and catch up with Barb, who we surprise with getting in early. I also visited the markets which was just lovely, small and quaint but full of fresh fruit and veg, that I sorely missed. I also bought a really cool magnet from here with authentic Japanese whatsitsname paper. We went over to barbs and we relaxed in some air conditioning, had a shower (awesome) and made plans to catch up that night, being a Saturday, so Nick and Jim could have a "session".

Well let me tell you it was, and after a drunken phone call back to Adelaide to Dad, who was equally "festive" it was soon time to hit the sack. I awoke the next morning to find Nick in a somewhat shabby state. Jim although not sleeping on the floor was not in tip top condition either. Felt good to be a sober Sam and watch these two try to get on with their day.

We spent a few nights free camping at Kellys Knob (weird name hey) and watching the amazing sun rise over the ranges we thought this would be a tricky pace to maintain if we get some work.

Cool tree growing out of a rock at Kellys Knob


Sunrise over Kununurra, with the ranges in the background, they surround the whole town, very pretty...


Delta, Delta, Delta... Nick was really worried about her bum, and that made me worry too, so we looked up the vet who weren't open on the weekend we called at 8 when they opened and were in at 830. Well impacted anal glands was the cause, not a bite like we thought. So after what seemed a painful squeeze by the vet, and a quick talk about what med's we had in our "case" to give her we were on our way for a $80 bill , then soon as we knew it were booked back in for the next day, for another squeeze and at only $40 we were happier. I was a tad grossed out as I got to learn how to preform the squeeze on Sahara, but all in all this would save us money, so we endeavored to do our own squeezing and go back if required. I'm writing this now over two weeks later, and after a few home grown squeeze's and she is happy as Larry, its all back to normal down there, though sometimes I think Delta feels a phantom fly and goes to nip it away when in reality there is nothing there. Its a face only a mother could love....
 


After conceding and booking into a caravan park, Nick was keen to find work. With some help from Barb with all the "local" knowledge, and a visit to the Job shop, as well as some friendly chats to locals Nick had found a Job in no time. He is doing Tractor work, 6am- 5:30/6 pm, 6 days a week, in a nice, old, air conditioned tractor, with lovely views of the ranges. (the poor old tractor isn't coping to well with the heat, and has chucked a few hissy fits and broken down too, so its not all peaches and cream) Although boring and long he has got some money rolling in and seems to enjoy working with the nice mob of people that are out there.

The backpackers from the park are all envious and say they would do anything to drive the tractor, and not pick. I drop him off and pick him up, which also means starting my days around 5am and  packing up the snail, then coasting down the road 6 Km to drop him off and then setting it back up here. Which involves opening every damn window as it gets so HOT, by 8:30AM its almost unbearable in the van, and packing everything up (Nick has put up an amazing shelter to keep the sun at bay) Then doing the same process if I want to drive to the shops/ Doctors etc , come back set up/ pack up and go pick him up. I Tell you at the end of nearly two weeks i'm an expert at this now.

This is a stunning sunset, over a mango plantation, my favorite kind, note all the cloud's in the sky. (They keep the moisture in and make it real humid) On my way to pick up Nick from work.


This is our site, with the shelter and the view of the lovely ranges behind us..


So you may ask what do I do with myself for nearly 12 hours each day. After cleaning like a crazy obsessive person for the first few days, I have slowed that routine... let me tell you. I try and relax, but that's hard with this heat, I busy myself by hand wash all our clothes and linen, try to escape from my daily headaches in non-air-conditioned 40 odd degree heat, with the bonus of high humidity, walk the dogs, prep dinner, read, listen to music, go to the shops; for fresh food supplies like bread as kit doesn't keep up here, as well as many other things I have at least 5 showers daily. Did I mention that this caravan park is full of mango and banana trees, so yes in my daily walks, I visit the local "tropical free fruit shop" and harvest my own mangos and bananas.... mmmm.

The best investment, Ipod and speaker dock
 
These are just some of my free mangos...

 
 
I have picked more to come on the next part of our journey with us...
 
 .........can you blame me....
 

 The mango's are massive, and ripen over time, check 'em out next to a normal size avocado....

 
Tonight we snatch a whole stem of bananas too... (hehe) This is the "marked" stem, i've had my eye's on it 


Oh yeah I also am a wildlife friend, this one came to visit inside..



The park we are staying at is called Hidden Valley. It is a nice enough park and one of the cheaper in town at $13 pp unpowered per night. Nick asked for a "my wife is pregnant discount" and got a week at a one person rate! Awesome, the baby is saving us money, that won't last for long... im sure. Its full of long tern backpackers, from all over the world out here picking and harvesting. It has a nice swimming pool and 2 well equipped camp kitchen's as well as many loo blocks. Its been designed well, and has very large old mango trees and ferns all through the "older" part of the part, giving it a real tropical feel. Its also pet friendly, which is kind of rare up here, and we find it funny that the park backs onto the national park, which isn't pet friendly, we see lots of people, and do ourselves, walking their dogs thru it.
 

 
 
 
We "moved" in here on the Monday, the day before they had had a big bush fire and the whole back part of were the unpowered sites/national park unfenced boarder has been burnt. So it stunk like smoke for the first few days we were here, and then we got used to it, and by now its kind of gone.

We do wake up through the night to Delta alerting us that there are Kangaroo's everywhere. It makes sense, all the grass is burnt in the National park ,and its so lush and green in here. there are some real big ones too, we check each night the dogs are on a lead, the last thing we need is another vet bill.

This is the fire damage, its within 15m from where we have parked


Would you believe a toilet block is in here



This is what is in front of us, we look over this lovely "dome" range , its kellys knob, and the loo block is to the right, with some banana palms growing around them, to the left of the garden is the camp kitchen


This is Mr Brown, on my way to the loo I nearly stepped on him, so all thoughts of relief forgotten I ran off got the camera and torch and snapped this shot.



With lovely chirping from the parrots in the tree during the day, to the big ibis birds walking around through the park, the snakes and roo's, the lizards who say hi, to the frogs singing in the loos at night, to these beautiful Bower birds, with creative nests in the NP behind us, to the bats who we fall asleep listening to, this park is full of nature, and for that its pretty special.
 

We went for a day trip to Wyndham, glad we went to see it, but wouldn't go again. The most spectacular, well actually the only thing I would say that would be worthwhile to check out, was the 5 rivers lookout.

Simply stunning...




Of course we had to stop at the big crocodile



So anyways after a long  hot drive back, I actually felt quite sick and had to come back for a cool shower and a lie down.

Have had a 20 wk scan and a checkup done while we were up here, I feel well and truly pregnant now, I tell you... look at that little person. So cute I know, I think that's nicks nose and my chin....


I also turned 30 up here, Thanks Nick for waking up at 4am to cook me pancakes. Thank you Barb and Jim for throwing me a party, and cooking a lovely meal. Thanks mum I got to open up a parcel that had been sent up full of cards from family back home which was also very special. I booked in for a pedicure with some birthday money sent up Uncle Rob and had an enjoyable experience, but I don't think I would do it again.

Particularly up here, its thongs weather, red dirt country + pedicure = what was I thinking??? Wish I took an after shot, IN the shop because as soon as I walked out side.... enough said.

I took the girlies to valentines falls recommended to me by the lovely foot lady above, and we spent the afternoon here.

 




Nick and I visited the car "boneyard" again to get some more parts, we may also go once more before we leave just in case. Nick has done lots of work on the car while we have been up here, fixing the steering arms, suspension and replacing our spare tyres, has kept him very busy. This Boneyard has saved us lots of Money, that's for sure!

We also had this fella with a young pup stay next to us for a week or so, the puppy became good friends with our girls, even Delta (?) When I would get home from dropping Nick to work it would run alongside the snail and wait for me and the girls at the drivers side door. I miss the puppy.
 
 
 
This is Nicks New best friend, the Header which he has to clean after every crop, before they move onto another. The stop cross-contamination.
 

Our time is nearing its end at Kununurra and we have a goodbye dinner with Barbs and Jim tonight, where I will aim to take my camera out of my bag, stop yarning on and take some pictures of us all, to add in here. We have had a great time up here, its been amazing having someone we can connect with after being on the road for so long.

Sequence was played (lets not mention who won), Barb cooked some amazing dinners, and drinks were drunk. Barb also came to my rescue when I had a hormonal breakdown. Local advice was given, Love and hugs, and supplies passed on, couldn't ask for more. Was like a home away from home, they make lovely substitutes. We will miss you both!



Then we have a appointment with the midwife again and another scan then we set off, we'll be home soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment